Saturday, February 23, 2008

Amanda's Book Nook: Volume 8: Homemade ABC Books

Volume 8: Homemade ABC Books

What better way to help your child learn their "ABC's" than to make them (or better yet, create with them) their very own ABC book?

For my daughter's 2nd birthday, I made her an ABC book especially personalized with items that are important to her. she had the book memorized after the second time reading through it because the items were so familiar. This book continues to be in her top book picks on a daily basis.

Here's how I did it (there are many different variation--the sky is the limit):
I bought a 4x6 photo album from the good old dollar store.
I glanced through our digital photos and picked out photos that I knew would be appropriate for each letter. For the letters where there wasn't a photo, I chose and object that she would recognize from our home and took an individual photo of it.
I bought foam capital letter stickers from the dollar store.
I cut out 4x6 pieces of cardstock and made the book.

A is for ....
B is for....
etc.

I typed out the "is for...".
After assembling the book, I wrote my daughter a special message at the back and wrapped it up for her birthday.

No comments: