Saturday, February 23, 2008

Amanda's Book Nook: Book Review:Journey to the Darkside: Supermom Goes Home by Kathy Buckworth

Volume 14: Book Review:Journey to the Darkside: Supermom Goes Home by Kathy Buckworth

Kathy Buckworth’s book, Journey to the Darkside, is a well written, entertaining book. The book shares the journey of a “Supermom” (working mother) who becomes a “stay at home Mom” (SAHM) in a very bold, up front, humorous and at times, sarcastic manner. This book is the third of the “Supermom” series, the other two being, “The Secret Life of SuperMom” and “SuperMom:
A Celebration of All You Can Do”.

The book brings humour into everyday family life and helps us Moms feel that our lives are “normal”, whatever “normal” can be in a life with young kids. Buckworth’s writing allows us all to see the lighter side of our everyday struggles and routines.

As Laural writes on her blog, “She (Kathy) takes an incredibly humourous look at what it’s truly like to stay at home with kids. She is somehow able to describe the boredom and busy-ness at the same time. Her descriptions of the various types of moms out there was hilarious.
By the time I finished reading the book there were two things that happened. First, I truly understood my sister’s life a little better (she stays at home). I sometimes wish I was doing what she was, but this book reminded me, in an incredibly funny way, that it’s not as easy as she makes it look. Second, I was really glad to go to work. I’ve been reading this book on the train, and the further I got into, the more I realized I was quite happy to hang on to my title of Supermom just a little longer.”

Kathy posts her upcoming appearances, interviews and articles on her website. It is well worth a visit.

No comments: