Saturday, February 23, 2008

Amanda's Book Nook: Volume 7: Number Books

Volume 7: Number Books

Books with numbers teach children many concepts; number sense, one to one correspondence (pointing to objects and counting each individual one), number recognition and often rhyme.

One book that my daughter and I have been having fun with lately is Five Silly Monkeys by Steven Haskamp. This book is a take on the action rhyme “Five Little Monkeys” that we all know from our childhood. The other day, I was reading this book to my toddler and quickly became aware that she has this book memorized. I decided to “throw her off a bit” and change the words up. Instead of the monkeys bumping their heads, all of a sudden they were bumping different parts of their bodies. Well, didn’t my daughter think that I was funniest Mommy ever? She kept asking for more and more and more and has ever since that day. The reason why I have shared this anecdote is to encourage you to explore and have fun with text.

We also came across a fabulous interactive website for preschoolers! There are games and interactive online stories, all age appropriate for toddlers (I have found activities that really and truly are age appropriate hard to find for my daughter).
Please feel free to visit Story Place Preschool Library for rainy day computer activities for you and your child to do together. The one activity that we found, involving numbers (similar set up as Five Silly Monkeys) was Five Hungry Crocodiles. This would be an excellent follow up activity for reading any number book.

No comments: